As you might have heard, there’s no traditional State Fair this year. Yes, there’s a sold-out drive-thru version that allows you to approximate the gluttony in your Ford Focus, but the wandering bar/buffet/carnival/seed art gallery is postponed. No live butter sculpting (although you can watch a time-lapse video). No quest for free street parking. No chance to yell “Wanna go to the mall later” at Meatsauce by the KFAN booth. No wide-eyed kindergartners departing the Miracle of Birth exhibit and looking warily at their dads. It’s a bummer!
Like many of you, Surly’s Beer Hall is attempting to make the best of some un-best circumstances. From August 28-Sept. 7, our kitchen will roll out a State Fair menu that you can enjoy at our place or to-go/delivery:
- Cheese Curds. Ellsworth curds, battered in Surly Oktoberfest, served with house-made ranch.
- Pork Chop On A Stick. Heritage breed pork chop, summer succotash, BBQ sauce.
- Smoked Turkey Leg. Giant, MN-raised Ferndale turkey leg, brined and slow-smoked.
- Roasted Corn-on-the-Cob. Fresh MN sweet corn, butter and sea salt.
- Pronto Pup. Fresh-dipped and fried. Served with ketchup and mustard.
- Corn Dog Pizza. Red sauce, mini corn dogs, Cheddar & mozzarella cheese, pickles, mustard, onion.
- Sweet JoJo’s Chocolate Chip Cookies. A dozen fresh-baked and warm chocolate chip cookies. Optional glass of milk available.
Some items will be limited on a day-to-day basis, so if you have your heart and stomach set on something, arrive early (3-9 pm Mon-Thurs, noon-9 pm Fri-Sun).
Our beer menu will remain the same, but if you want to throw some cheese curds in a Furious and call it our 2020 State Fair beer, go ahead. We just don’t recommend it.