Non-profit organizations continue to witness the impacts of COVID-19 firsthand, and the need for emergency food continues to sit at a historically high level. Rising food costs, supply chain disruptions, inflation, schools moving to e-learning, and continued exposure to COVID-19 contribute to the crisis.
Here’s how hunger is affecting Minnesota and the U.S. right now:
- One in nine Minnesotans, including one in six children, don’t know where their next meal is coming from.
- A third of all Minnesotans lack access to healthy food.
- 63% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck–one unexpected expense can mean rent over meals.
The Food Group is working tirelessly to get essential, nutritious, culturally connected foods to our neighbors who need it most right now. We want to help.
Surly Gives a Damn (SGAD), the non-profit community giving arm of Surly Brewing, The Market at Malcolm Yards, and O’Shaughnessy Distilling Co. are coming together to host a neighborhood food drive during the entire month of March to support The Food Group’s efforts. Beginning March 1, we’re giving community members a chance to help and donate non-perishable items when they come into grab a beverage or dine at any of the three locations. If you prefer, you can make a monetary donation online via their giving page: https://www.givemn.org/story/Slbkwe
Just look for the blue bins inside the front doors of each location to drop off your non-perishable food items. In return, you’ll get a little thank you from that business (see below). We want to provide families with the most nutritious and culturally connected foods. For ideas on the best items to donate, here’s a list to get you started.
- Surly Brewing Co.
- 520 Malcolm Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414
- Free beer coupon when you bring in a donation (one coupon per person).
- 20% discount on online store with a monetary online donation.
- The Market at Malcolm Yards
- 501 30th Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414
- Entry to $50 gift card raffle with a donation.
- O’Shaughnessy Distilling Co.
- 600 Malcolm Ave. SE Minneapolis, MN 55414
- A free whiskey punch with a donation.
- 20% discount in online store with a monetary online donation.
The businesses of the Prospect Park neighborhood look forward to seeing you this month!