Craft Brewers Conference attendees might have seen the shiny new seven-barrel brewing system we displayed on the Minneapolis Convention Center floor this spring. And even if you didn’t, you can still enjoy the first new beer from it this week! Here’s what you need to know about it:
- Surly installed this system to drive innovation on a larger scale, as our one-barrel pilot system isn’t truly scalable for bigger brewing runs. This one allows us to develop recipes, experiment, and play in the sandbox a little bit with hop varietals, beer styles, etc. If something is clearly a hit and has the potential for bigger things, we can do something with it. If something is brilliant but doesn’t find an audience, lesson learned on a much smaller scale than 30-100 bbls.
- We set it up at our original brewhouse in Brooklyn Center. It took a little longer to get up and running because we needed to clear some space and upgrade the electrical there, and Xcel was busy all summer putting power lines back up or something.
- The first beer is called Demo Day, a hazy double IPA brewed with Citra, Mosaic, and Idaho 7. It is a banger.
- The first three beers:
- 12/7: Demo Day Hazy DIPA
- 12/14: Strata’s Quo Strata IPA
- 1/5: Home Sweet Sour Fruited Sour.
- Yes, you can get these in crowlers and growlers to-go!
- These are all Beer Hall only. If you want to try one of these, please note the “seven-barrel” portion of the “seven-barrel brewing system.” They’re limited!