Three new Surly beers are hitting shelves this week. There’s the highly anticipated yearly variant of one of our most beloved beers. There’s also our monthly BC Small Batch release, which finds one of our Beer Hall favorites in cans for the first time. Oh yeah, and the other one is our newest year-round beer. Let’s meet them.
- BARREL-AGED DARKNESS. When we ask the brewers what the timeline is on the barrel-aged version of our legendary Russian imperial stout, the response is usually “It’s ready when it’s ready” or “Quit f—ing asking, Stu.” The good news: It’s ready. This special edition of our massive Russian imperial stout matures in rye whiskey barrels, lending it notes of chocolate, vanilla, dried fruit, and cherry, all enhanced by the oak and spice of the barrel.
- GARDEN VARIETY. This kettle sour has notes of strawberry and cherry nestled amongst hints of sweet malt, vanilla, and crusty bread. The sweet-tart flavor is anything but commonplace, and it’s a perfect addition to our BC Small Batch lineup. Available in March throughout our U.S. footprint.
- GRAPEFRUIT SUPREME. Braced by bright, citrusy grapefruit flavor and gentle tartness, this light, crisp, and refreshing beer reigns Supreme. It started in our spring 2019 variety pack. The people wanted more. We released it as a standalone six pack for the summer. The people wanted more. We’re releasing it in six-packs and 12-packs this March, removing the seasonal tag, and shipping it to all Surly markets. If that doesn’t do the trick, we’ll begin sourcing tallboys, 750s, party balls, gravity bongs, 50-gallon drums, and those planes they use for forest fires.
These beers all begin hitting shelves this week. ABV, hop profile, flavor notes, and other relevant intel below.
- 12% ABV
- Hops: Warrior, Simcoe, Amarillo
- Malt Bill: 2-Row, Simpson’s Golden Promise, Crystal, Dark Crystal, Oats, Black Malt, Chocolate Roasted Barley
- Special Guest: Belgian Dark Candi Sugar
- Barrels: Rye Whiskey
- Flavor/aromatic notes: Chocolate, vanilla, dried fruit, and cherry, enhanced by the oak and spice of the barrel.
- Bottle Art: 2019 Darkness Artist Tim Chapman
- 9.0% ABV
- Hops: Warrior (Bittering), Citra (Dry Hop)
- Malt Bill: Two Row, Acidulated, Unmalted Wheat, Carafoam
- Low bitterness
- Flavor/aromatic notes: Strawberry, cherry, vanilla
- 4.5% ABV
- Hops: Warrior
- Malt Bill: Pilsner, Unmalted Wheat, Acidulated Malt, Carafoam
- Yeast: English Ale, Lactobacillus Delbruckii
- Low bitterness
- Flavor/aromatic notes: Grapefruit, lemon, citrus