The most Overrated! thing in Minnesota? Minnesota Nice. Plucky upstart Duck Duck Grey Duck made a valiant run but was simply no match for our state’s peerless passive aggression. Thanks to everyone who voted and a reminder that a limited amount of Overrated! is on Minnesota/Dakota shelves and on draft at the Brewery.
Full starting bracket:
1. Minnesota Nice. “Sounds good” is just the liar’s “I hate you with the blistering heat of 10000 suns and would rather be eaten by wolves.” Just be honest for once in your life, Carl.
16. Roller Blades. Skating on land is a perversion of nature.
8. Juicy Lucy. The cheese is in the wrong place! It only serves to confuse and will give you second-degree burns. Meanwhile, the humble cheeseburger on the menu is honest, delicious, and doesn’t actively try to inflict harm. You know this is true.
9. Lake Superior. Great Lake? Not even a good lake, sadly.
5. Little House on the Prairie. Pa Ingalls was way out over his skis and they should have just gotten an apartment in Richfield.
12. Going to the Lake. The same people you can’t stand being around at home? Spend four hours behind them on the interstate! Each way!
4. Hockey Hair. You may think looking like someone who sells edibles at a Phish show is cool, but Gordie Howe had the same haircut as your dad and your dad’s dad and played for like 50 years. Be like Gordie.
13. Honeycrisp Apples. What if we made an apple the size of a Honda Element?
6. F. Scott Fitzgerald. More like Great Job Putting Me to Sleep, Gatsby.
11. Mississippi River. The 2009 Vikings also started in Minnesota and ended in New Orleans and we don’t like being reminded of it.
3. Paul Bunyan. Nice ox, dipshit.
14. Duck Duck Grey Duck. We can think of another word that ends in “uck” when someone tells us it’s better than Duck Duck Goose.
7. Ice Fishing. Standing around a hole in the middle of a frozen lake again? If you want to avoid your family for an entire afternoon so badly, that’s what bars are for. Support local businesses.
10. Bob Dylan. Jim Henson’s most twisted creation.
2. Hotdish. Your grandma made this because she had 11 kids to feed and $3.50 a week to do it with. What’s your excuse?
15. Zubaz. Preferred leisure wear of the uncle who doesn’t get invited to birthdays and weddings anymore.