Surly Gives A Damn’s annual Earth Day Clean Up is cancelled due to sheltering in place, as working side-by-side to save our planet needs to be metaphorical for a while. However, there are still ways to observe the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day in a socially distant, environmentally positive way. We present…
SGAD’s Six Tips to Celebrate Earth Day from Six Feet Away:
- Clean Up Your Neighborhood. The Big Mac wrappers and airplane bottles of Fireball nestled among some dead leaves by the storm drain don’t belong there. Pick them up and be a local hero.
- Recycle Your Beer Cans. You’ve been dedicated to supporting local craft brewers and restaurants. Your selfless support of #TastesBetterLocal is appreciated by all of us, but the empty cans and takeout containers have likely made the recycling payload more, um, substantial. You’re not alone. Get that bin out to the curb, nod at your neighbor from a safe distance.
- Ride Your Bike/Take a Walk. Might hit 70 today. Get some exercise and work off the calories from the previous bullet point.
- Plant Some Beer-Friendly Plants. Garden centers are essential. Ingredients for beer are essential. While everyone else is growing tomatoes, step up to be the maverick green thumb who grows their own hops and barley.
- Hug a Tree. The “treehugger” epithet seems a little less hurtful now that trees are the only thing left that you can actually hug. Give that oak tree a squeeze, champ. No judging.
- Check out Hands On Twin Cities for more ways to Give A Damn about Mother Earth today.
If you complete some or all six of these tasks, reward yourself with a Surly beer. Happy Earth Day!