We have a new year-round, draft-only beer. It’s called Grindcore. Here’s what you need to know.
- It’s a nitro espresso milk stout. The nitro aspect provides a creamy, velvety mouthfeel that sets it apart from a CO2 beer. Expect full coffee flavor with the rich, slightly sweet body of a stout.
- “We’ve brewed several coffee beers over the years, but Grindcore is very much its own thing,” says Surly Head Brewer Jerrod Johnson. “The lactose sweetness balances the intense French roast character and the nitro provides a pleasant, smooth mouthfeel.”
- The coffee is Jim’s 5-Star French Roast from Minneapolis’ Coffee & Tea Ltd. “They provide the beans for Coffee Bender and have been friends of the brewery for years,” says Johnson. French roast coffee flavors tend to be more roasted, with subtle caramel or molasses notes.
- While Coffee Bender has a sharper, roastier profile, Grindcore leans more towards sweetness and chocolate.
- As noted by Jerrod, Lactose (milk sugar) is added to the brew to complement the sweetness of the coffee and the malts.
- It’s available to all Surly markets (with a nitro handle, of course).
It’s on tap in our Beer Hall right now, and available in a Caffeination Flight with Cooper and Postmodern Coffee Break. If you’re a coffee beer fan and a Surly fan, now’s the time to stop in.