2020 presented a unique challenge for Surly Gives A Damn. The needs in our community were never greater, thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic and the civil unrest following George Floyd’s murder. And working together to help in whatever way we could was made exponentially more difficult by the pandemic’s safety restrictions.
Still, like so many others in the Twin Cities, we adapted on the fly and figured out what we could do and where we could do the most damn good. There was no shortage of courageous SGAD volunteers who wanted to help us in these efforts, whether it was distributing food, assembling dressers, giving blood, or even building an entire house. In a year when silver linings were few and far between, we rarely wanted for people willing to give back to the community. Thank you.
The full 2020 Surly Gives A Damn wrap-up is below:
- 1,278.3 Pounds of fresh veggies grown for Every Meal (fka The Sheridan Story)
- 760 Trees planted for the Mississippi Park Connection
- Seven Events, 127 Hours of Service for Open Arms of MN: Farm, Kitchen, Blizzard Boxes & Food Delivery
- 349 Hours to Habitat for Humanity to raise The House That Beer Built
- 312 Units of blood to Memorial Blood Centers
- 11 Events, 65 Dressers Built and 3,000+ Blankets sorted for Bridging
- 5,072 Meals distributed at Keystone Community Services, Loaves & Fishes and The Open Door
- 25,475 Meals packed at Second Harvest
- 40,805 Meals packed, $5,151 raised and 1,443 pounds of food donated to The Food Group
And a HUGE thank you to our 20 local non-profit partners for helping our community function during a global pandemic. In addition to the ones above, that means you, Touchstone Mental Health, Midtown Greenway, The Loppet Foundation, Toys For Tots, House of Charity, People, Inc., ReStore, Special Olympics Minnesota, and Tree Trust.
2021 is providing ample opportunities to give a damn. Find your next volunteer shift at https://surlybrewing.com/surly-gives-a-damn/.