The 2021 edition of Darkness hits shelves and tap lines this weekend. Here’s what you need to know.
When can I get a bottle?
Darkness will be available all weekend long, beginning Friday (10/29). With Halloween falling on a Sunday and the last 18 months being generally terrible, we figure being able to snag a bottle on Friday after work would be cool.
Where can I find it?/Will my store have it?
Best way to confirm is to use the Find Surly app on our website and check with the store. They’re happy to help you spend money there.
What if I can’t wait until Friday?
If you live in the MSP area, Stub & Herb’s is having their annual Darkness Eve party on Thursday.
Is there a Darkness Day this year?
No. It remains on indefinite hiatus until Minnesota changes some exceptionally outdated laws regarding beer sales and brewery size. Learn more about the work Surly and other local independent craft brewers are doing at supportmnbreweries.com.
Is there anything going on at the Brewery?
Absolutely! On Friday, October 29 and Saturday, October 30, we’ll observe Darkness Rising in the Beer Hall with a haunting array of Darkness and Darkness-adjacent specials.
- Darkness Flights: Enjoy the first pour of this year’s Darkness along with 2010 and 2011 Darkness.
- 10 oz. pours of 2010, 2011, and 2021 Darkness.
- Bottles of vintage Darkness available for purchase and consumption on the premises. (Reminder: Minnesota has an exceptionally backwards law restricting which breweries can sell beer to-go, which is why you must enjoy it here.)
- 2021 Darkness Artist Justin Bergo will be doing live painting/signings.
- Fresh Darkness 2021 gear (hoodies, t-shirts, posters, etc.) will be available, as well as discounted Darkness merch from previous years.
We’ve also decked the halls and Beer Garden with seasonally appropriate décor. If your local Party City is out of Halloween cobwebs, that’s because we bought all of them. We blame the supply chain. Our staff will be in costume, feel free to join them.
Are there events going on elsewhere?
Our Facebook page has a constantly updating list of events taking place across the Upper Midwest. Find the one nearest you.
When are the variants and BA Darkness coming out?
The variants will be out in December and Barrel-Aged Darkness hits the market in spring 2022.