This summer, Surly encourages everyone to bring Xtra. Be it a party, cookout, wedding, pontoon, happy hour, family reunion, or a boiling-hot July Wednesday, Xtra-Citra brings an IPA wallop to the session beer party.
When you bring Xtra, not only will you be the guest of honor wherever you go, you’ll join others throughout history who, often in the face of staggering odds, brought Xtra:
- Emil Christian Hansen. Hansen was the first person to isolate a pure yeast cell in 1883. Can’t have beer without yeast. Raise an Xtra to Emil this summer. He’s dead, so just toast his memory.
- Your friend Rick, who always has a spare Koozie or three. You know how magicians pull a seemingly endless string of colorful scarves from their sleeves? That’s Rick with Koozies. Thanks for bailing us out, Rick. (Xtra facts: Koozie is a registered copyright, like Kleenex or Xerox. They’re called stubby holders in Australia, which is SUCH A BETTER NAME.)
- Gene Pobrasco. Bred the first Citra hop in 1990. There’s no Xtra-Citra without a substantial amount of Citra hops, and there’s no Citra hop without Gene. Gene’s not dead and appears to be on LinkedIn. Thanks, Gene.
- Norman Borlaug. Saved a billion people from starving by making wheat varieties that were durable, high-yield, and could be grown in inhospitable climates. (Xtra facts: His real honest-to-Pete name was Norman Borlaug and there’s a building named after him at the University of Minnesota.)
- Your friend Jen, who brings chips, mixers, and ice without asking. The party always needs more ice, mixers, and salty snacks. She doesn’t text to ask if you need any, she just shows up with strategic reinforcements. Name brands, too–she brought generic cola to a Super Bowl party in 2007 and still beats herself up about it.
- Biz Markie. He’s a rapper/American treasure who can’t carry a tune in bucket, but he sang the chorus of “Just a Friend” and ended up with a song that could replace the National Anthem tomorrow and bring a fractured country together.
- Speaking of America: The U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team. The standard for excellence in American sports. Currently bringing Xtra in France for the Women’s World Cup. Some say they brought too much Xtra, goal-wise. We disagree.
- Frederick McKinley Jones. Those refrigerated trucks that carry cold kegs and cans of Xtra-Citra to Surly’s entire distribution area? Fred invented that. As far as bringing Xtra for size goes, Fred is tough to beat.
Xtra-Citra is available in 16 oz. 4-packs, 12 oz. 12-packs, and 12 oz. 6-packs to all Surly markets.