We put out a 2020 Brand Calendar way back in November 2019, as we looked forward to an exciting year of new beer releases and returning favorites that could be enjoyed with large groups of friends at gatherings, bars, and restaurants across Surly’s distribution footprint.
As the COVID-19 shutdowns tore through our industry, we had to adjust what we’re packaging and sending out into the world the rest of the year. That said, it’s not all bad news, and we’re pretty excited about some of the extremely cool shit we have to share with you for the back half of 2020. You’ve definitely earned it.
THE BAD NEWS FIRST: There will be no packaged WET or Rose in 2020. There will be limited Rose draft availability at our Beer Hall and some local establishments this summer, but otherwise they are taking a breather this year.
THE GOOD NEWS:
- Thirteen. Our maple barrel-aged imperial stout w/vanilla returns on (naturally) Friday, November 13th.
- Fourteen. We’re creating a 14th Anniversary beer. As with 13, it will be boxed and packaged in a 16 oz. can. More on what it is later.
- Party Starter. Our newest variety pack is hitting stores as you read this. As we slowly begin the process of “being around other people again,” this party in a box breaks the ice. Features Furious, Rocket Surgery, the return of Warp Zone Pilsner, and the introduction of Mango Supreme, a tart ale brewed w/mango.
- Culture Collab. In the Before Time, our friends at New Belgium came to Minneapolis and helped us create a blended culture American sour ale with blueberries, aged on virgin oak and red wine barrels. It lands this September.
- Darkness variants. There won’t be a Darkness Day this year, but we’ll still have our yearly Darkness bottle release on Halloween, and we’re introducing canned Darkness variants available in December. Flavors TBA, but they will be in single 16 oz. cans and an ideal stocking stuffer for the craft beer fan if your life.
- Rocket Surgery 12ers. Our hit hazy ale will be available in the popular 12-pack format beginning in July.
- Sabrotooth Tiger. If you’re a fan of the Sabro hop, and you should be, our next seasonal will be a Sabro-heavy IPA. Coming in July.
- Neon Dragons. BC Small Batch returns from sheltering at our ancestral Brooklyn Center home with this DDH Hazy DIPA in July.
You can see the revamped calendar below. As you can guess, this is all subject to change if the murder hornets reappear, the Super Wolf Blood Moon suspends gravity, or something else out of our control happens.