SurlyFest is back. As with every SurlyFest, 2018’s is a little bit different. For example, this is the first time it’s hosting a homecoming: Minneapolis’ own The Hold Steady.
That’s correct. The Hold Steady’s long-awaited return to the 612 area code falls on Saturday, October 13th, at Surly’s Festival Field. They’re the exclamation point on our annual off-kilter spin on a traditional German Oktoberfest.
The party starts at 10 am in the Beer Hall and Beer Garden. Games, steins, music from Jake Rudh and Transmission, and German-inspired fare from the Beer Hall and Surly Pizza Upstairs. Aki’s Breadhaus will be slinging pretzels and pretzel necklaces. Entry is free, all ages, and open to the public! If you’d like to upgrade to a SurlyFest Stein Package, those are available NOW!)
At 2 pm, the doors to Festival Field will open, with an array of music, food trucks, games, inflatables, steins, a frankly ridiculous amount of beer, and all of it headlined by The Hold Steady. Tickets to enter Festival Field are $40, and are on sale NOW. This is an 18+ show.
SurlyFest 2018 at Festival Field:
- The Hold Steady 8:00 pm
- Bad Bad Hats 6:30 pm
- Mixed Blood Majority 5:00 pm
- Static Panic 3:45 pm
- Rachel Kurtz 2:30 pm
- DJ Shannon Blowtorch will be playing between sets and when the gates open at 2:00 pm.
- General Admission to Festival Field: $40. Note: This is an 18+ show if you’re thinking of bringing the kids.
- SurlyFest Stein Package: $20. Includes a 2018 commemorative SurlyFest stein, two (2) Redeemable Tickets for stein-fills of beer. **Does NOT include general admission to concert in Festival Field**
- SurlyFest VIP:
$90. General Admission to Festival Field, specialty Deneen Stoneware stein, four (4) redeemable tickets for stein-fills of beer, SurlyFest 2018 T-Shirt.SOLD OUT!
SURLYFEST FOOD MENU:
In addition to our usual excellent offerings in the Beer Hall and Surly Pizza Upstairs, Chef Ben Peine has created SurlyFest-only menu items for the event. We’re also welcoming some excellent local food trucks to Festival Field.
- Surly Food Truck
- Smoked Turkey Leg
- Porchetta on a Stick
- Mushroom Goulash
- Bavarian Cream Cookie Sandwich
- Beer Garden
- Surly House-Made Sausages–Boar Brat or Cheddarwurst served on a House-Made Bun
- Doner Kebab (Marinated Lamb & Beef, Cabbage Slaw, Tomato, Onion, Cucumber, Mint, Yogurt Sauce, Pita)
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Bavarian Cream Cookie Sandwich
- Beer Hall
- Reuben Frites (Pastrami, Kraut, Swiss Cheese Sauce, Remoulade)
- Pierogies (Potato & Gruyere-filled, Horseradish Creme Fraiche)
- Cabbage Rolls (Porchetta Sausage, Stewed Sauerkraut, Caraway Creme Fraiche)
- German Engineered Tacos (Lefse, Corned Beef, Cabbage Slaw, Crema)
- Chicken Schnitzel Sandwich (Mustard Sauce, Dill Pickles, Fries)
- Surly Pizza Upstairs
- Inglorious Bastard: (Smoked Chicken, Gruyere, Kraut, Remoulade, Jalapeno, Citra Hop Oil)
- Food Trucks
- Aki’s Breadhaus
- Chef Shack
- Cheese Louise
- R Taco
- MN Nice Cream
The big news is that this will be the day we release our SurlyFest Rye Lager to a thirsty public. It’s draft-only this year, and once it’s gone, it is gone.
- Beer Garden: In addition to our Beer Hall tap list, we’ll have some specialty casks at the ready.
- Festival Field Draft:
- Surly Porter
- Side Hustle (gluten-reduced)
- Liberty Spikes (hazy IPA)
- Festival Field Cans:
IMPORTANT SHIT TO KNOW:
- Arrival & Parking: Concert-goers should take alternate transport if at all possible. There will be VERY limited parking, especially with a United game kicking off at 1 pm down the street. Overflow parking will be available at SKB, CSM and UEL lots. The Green Line is a great way to get here, as we are located just down the block from the Prospect Park stop. BIKING IS AN EXTREMELY GOOD OPTION! Bring your own or use Nice Ride to get to Surly Festival Field. Everyone will be ID’d at the gate.
- Cash/Credit: You can use cash or credit to get beer tickets, food and merch. If you do need cash, there will be an ATM in the concert venue for your use.
- Photography: Our standard policy allows cell phones and small point and shoot cameras only (no detachable lenses). Flash photography is not permitted. This policy may change depending on the performer or at the discretion of management.
- Other: No outside food or beverage, no chairs, no umbrellas. Breast pumps are allowed. You will be allowed to go to and from Festival Field with your General Admission or VIP ticket. And as ever, don’t be dumb or we will throw you out.